Anti-Fat Bias for Helpers 101
Fat clients are in desperate need of practitioners who understand anti-fatness, to know that they aren’t going to receive unsolicited diet advice or unhelpful suggestions that perpetuate disordered eating and possibly retraumatize them.
Time & Location
Nov 09, 2023, 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. PST
About the event
In the first hour, Alexandra will guide us through:
- What anti-fat bias is, it’s history, and how it intersects with other forms of oppression,
- How anti-fatness enacts modern-day colonization,
- The history and development of the BMI and why it is irrelevant and harmful,
- The systemic and interpersonal impacts of anti-fat oppression,
- How anti-fat bias shows up in helping professions (often sneakily) and how to counteract it,
- How to incorporate trauma-informed approaches to working with fat clients, and
- Identifying specific DO’s and DON’Ts for how to show up for you clients.
There will be 30 minutes for a Q&A.
Participants will be sent a video recording and resource document post-workshop.
Early Bird - Live and ReplayFrom $30.00 to $50.00Sale ended
- $50.00Tax: +$2.50 GST+$1.31 service fee
- $30.00Tax: +$1.50 GST+$0.79 service fee